Archive for June 10th, 2011

PackageKit backend for Software Center: week 2 report

A week of fail and win has almost ended.

On the fail part, I had a hard time building pygobject, gobject-introspection and glib from git.gnome.org. At first I’ve trying pulling from git, configuring and building, without luck. Then I switched to jhbuild, which after a few sanitychecks, bootstraps and configuration, worked; a day after I found that I’m on the stable branch (-2-28/gnome-3) which wasn’t good enough for my aim at patching master, and have switched branches to master, trying build -n. Of course it didn’t work until I hacked PKG_CONFIG_PATH to include paths such as /usr/share/pkgconfig, /usr/lib/pkgconfig and /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkgconfig – with help from walters on #introspection. This week my hard drive was about to die – because of a bug in the kernel driver for ata, it was reset every 30 seconds, causing everything to freeze. Different liveCDs have failed, the symptoms were ambigous and hard to reproduce – almost an entire day of fun.

On the win side, I figured out the hdd problem, and locked the kernel version to 2.6.38-9 for now. Hacked pygobject, posted patch in bugzilla B-), I’m one step further into making packagekit python bindings work; also I used the remaining time to push forward some more preparation refactor on software-center.

I have also updated the GSoC timeline – I’ll try to keep it up to date.

For the next week, same objectives remain.

PS: If you’re a python hacker and feel like helping out :-) , please check this bug report out.